Friday, August 15, 2008

The fallacy of "Academic Community"

One of the persistent underlying themes of my comprehensive exam readings is the concept of community. And because I prefer to concretely connect abstract concepts to my sense of reality, this now has me thinking about my communities. Most disturbingly, I have discovered that the idea of an “academic community” is a fallacy.

Let me lay down some groundwork for this conclusion. Between my readings and my own developing beliefs, my loose definition of community entails interaction, communication, and understanding among the members. Easy, right? Well…no. Consider this scenario. I am a member of the “academic community.” What does that mean, exactly? That I am participating in the academic, university environment? Ok, but based on my aforementioned definition, that’s not enough. Let’s consider interactivity – who do I interact with in the broader “academic community”? Professors, instructors, and graduate students in my department. A couple of grad students outside my department (thanks to my service on the Graduate Student Council last year). The librarians. That’s about it. So maybe that qualifies. How about communication?

Yes, I definitely communicate with all of the above mentioned folks. Check. And understanding? Ummm. Ok, I think this is where things fall apart. Let’s take just one common question: “What are you getting your PhD in?”

I get this one all the time. In fact, it is one of the unwritten and unspoken rules of grad school that this must be one of the first questions you ask upon meeting a fellow grad student for the first time. Here is how that interaction usually goes when the question is directed at me from a fellow grad student outside the English department:

“What are you getting your PhD in?”

“Composition and Rhetoric with a focus on Native American rhetoric and literacy”

Response range: Half-smile/half-recognition of terms to glazed eyes/raised eyebrows

I try again: “Writing”

Full on smile/recognition: “oh!”

Usually the conversation then veers onto something else, like the temperature and flavor of the free pizza, but on the off chance that the poor soul attempts to continue, which has happened a handful of times, this is how that conversation usually progresses:

“Really? What’s Native American rhetoric? Who are the theorists?”

“The way Native scholars past and present use language in various situations to make a point. Some of the big names are Vine Deloria, Robert Warrior, Jace Weaver, Joy Harjo…”

At this point, recognition is so far away that I usually throw in “Leslie Marmon Silko,” at which point the proverbial light bulb goes on and out comes another, “ooohhh! I read Ceremony as an undergrad!”

Le sigh.

Back to the concept of community. Very often, when this conversation plays out in my own department among myself and professors, instructors, or fellow English grad students, I get similar reactions because the “academy” is very good at partitioning itself into insular, disconnected compartments that seldom, if ever, interact. So “Native American rhetoric” is a foreign concept to many in the English department as much as “Composition and Rhetoric” is a foreign designation to anyone outside the English department.

(And by the way, all of this magnifies once I step outside the academic environment and try to interact with friends and family “on the outside,” so to speak. They really glaze over and lack understanding about what exactly it is that I do. And not only do they not understand, they also aren’t interested in learning, so conversation always shifts to other topics.)

I’m questioning whether there is such a thing as an “academic community” at all. Who exactly is in the community who can interact, communicate, and understand the fields I’m studying and discussing? Let’s see, that would be my three-member professorial committee, a handful of instructors and all of my grad student friends who took my director’s Native American theory class with me last spring. (I know I’m selfishly presenting myself and my situation, but I imagine the same argument could be made for someone in the Biology Department, or Family Services, or Poultry Science, etc.)

Certainly my little cohort of folks who can interact and communicate with, and understand me in discussions of Native American theorists and rhetoric qualifies as a sub-community within the larger English department community, which is part of the Humanities community within the Auburn University structure, which is part of the broader “university” or “academic community” in the U.S. and the world. So many levels of community, but can we really call those broader categories communities, considering the lack of interaction, communication, and understanding between the internal members of the sub-genres and sub-communities that make up the larger versions?

Instead of “community,” which puts a positive spin and gloss over what the superstructure really is – and I see this term in academic journals as well as my own writing -- we should be honest and stop pretending to be a community. We should call the broader groupings by a more honest and less happy term: an institution. Seems to me in recent years, people have been trying to get away from the term “institution” because of its negative connotations. Well. Yeah. An institution can operate, function, and even flourish without its members interacting, communicating, or even feigning understanding across boundaries. As long as the work gets done and everyone gets paid, the “institution” is just fine.

The institution is really a machine. Not a community that functionally relies on the interconnectivity and interdependence of its participants.

And as far as re-casting the institutional machinery of the academy into the frame of a community as I envision it, well, I just don’t know if that’s really possible. It would require members of the compartmentalized units to truly care about what’s going on in other units – enough to at least learn some fundamentals or even just basic concepts and terminology. But honestly, who has time for that? The pressures of “publish or perish” – which is ridiculous and a problem to tackle another day – in addition to administrative and service requirements that come with working in academe restrict members to focusing on their own compartments (for job survival) while engaged in academic business. Outside time is usually devoted to hobbies and interests that have very little or nothing to do with that institutional machinery…and perhaps that is where our best chance for “academic” community resides – in the external interactions of academic professionals engaged in non-academic activities, like Niffer’s trivia on Mondays and Project Runway Appreciation Nights. ;)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I've actually refused to call it a "community" for quite some time now, but have never fully explored why. I agree with you entirely on these points--an "academic community" is an attractive sheen we put on an otherwise elitist institution. (And we would certainly fool ourselves if we believed there weren't members in this "community" who didn't enjoy the dazed look they call forth from others when discussing esoteric research interests. Maybe that's why the elitist institutional machine still works.)

I wanted to commiserate with you on a particular point, as well--not being able to share research interests (or even accomplishments) with "outsiders." When I was working on my Master's thesis two years ago, a subject which my mom still has little understanding of and my dad only cursory, I rediscovered an anti-Catholic broadside which had been hanging on the walls of London buildings at the date of publication of a little-read early English prose fiction. The good part? My thesis explored anti-Catholic polemic of early Jacobean England to provide context for the subtle anti-Catholic strains in this particular work. I was beside myself with glee at my discovery. No one had mentioned this broadside in any of the research I managed to dig up. Dr. Relihan, my directing professor, had never heard of or seen it (but was equally delighted). But when I went to share my pride for my great success as a very young researcher with my parents...I got the telephone equivalent of blank stares: complete silence.

We are made to isolate ourselves in this great machine, and there seems little to be done for it. So, being aware of it now and likewise dissatisfied, what is our next step? Kant would wag his finger and tell us that now we have a responsibility to act with our knowledge. What do we do?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Amanda!

I think you're being a bit hard on the "academic community" label. Must every community foster complete understand between all members all the time? Let's take a small town as an example of a community (since this is the picture that comes to everyone's minds for community). All the people there have known each other all their lives. They all attend the same public function, fairs, festivals, etc. They know everyone's kids. They can freely commicate their concerns or joys to everyone else in the community. And they all have jobs to support said community. Now let's take the town hairdresser and the town mechanic and put them in a room. They can talk about their families, church, town gossip... almost everything. But can they communicate and fully understand each other's jobs? Of course not! Even though their jobs are vital to their participation in the community, but that does not mean that the mechanic has to know how to give a perm, or the hairdresser has to know how to change brake pads.

Likewise, I do not expect everyone in my department to fully understand and appreciate 18th century literature (which I know will become more marked as I further specialize later in my program). However, I do work to find common ground. And there is common ground within the community, just as there was between the hairdresser and the mechanic. The pressures of graduate school (which the faculty will also understand). Teaching, oh Lord, teaching. I could be with a biology grad student and spend hours swapping stories about students (and I have). All academic concerns, but not necessarily having to do with our narrow research interests. Not everyone can fulfill all the roles of community for each other all the time.

Jim Macdonald said...

I wonder, speaking to angela's comment, whether there really is much community in most small towns.

People live quietly in their homes, erect fences, speak about the weather, and their children find the first way out that they can. Gossip fills the air about who is sleeping with who.

Of course, not every town is like this - there are communities - my point is that while it may not be important that every person knows everything about every other person even in the smallest, most tight knit community, there is a deep disconnect. Even a small town might be too large for a strong community; the physics making it impossible to be connected except in more and more abstract and superficial ways.

And, isn't that what something like the "academic" community is par excellence - an increasingly abstract and disconnected community? Sure, there's something of a community about it, and we can engage in gray area hair splitting, but at root, what is the nature of the connection, and is it enough? We can say that about other kinds of communities as well - "online" community or "activist" community as a couple examples that come to mind.

Community seems elusive to me and perhaps increasingly so. As our world becomes more complicated, as we create more and more tools that heighten our power, we become more and more alienated from each other. (Amanda, I wrote a little to that in my response to you on my blog).

We have very few tribes these days.

Cheers,
Jim

chmixon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.