Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Delayed experimental beginnings

Snow days. Ice storms. Delayed starts. Full day cancellations. 

Welcome to spring semester 2011 in the Northeastern US corridor.

As a professor, I'm concerned with the effects that these snow and ice day cancellations have on my students' schedules. And at this point, there is zero consistency across my classes. Three sections of college composition are all at different places and my advanced students must discuss two days' worth of readings tomorrow, instead of a more focused and well-paced conversation.

Instead, this stuttering start to the spring semester has a jarring inconsistency that the clock and calendar have no regard for. We began on Jan. 18. We are in our third week and it feels like I have not seen my students more than I have seen them.

While I realize that no one can control Nature and I also would rather not risk my car and life in treacherous commutes, these delays are not exactly blessings, given the ambitious projects I have my students tackling this semester.

To wit, my advanced composition students have selected a pressing social or cultural issue to explore all semester long in the form of two creative nonfiction essays and one newspaper opinion editorial - all of which they must submit to publications of their choosing. Almost none of them has experience writing in either of these genres and so benefit from my input and class discussion. Plus, they are also creating, writing, and maintaining a blog for the semester with a required 10 posts minimum of 500 words minimum each post.

My core classes, college composition, are tackling and attempting to solve local problems in a real way - outside the classroom. They are working in groups, so their first project is a problem/solution proposal where they will thoroughly pitch their problem and ideas for solutions. Unfortunately, all of these class cancellations have put the groups behind. In fact, some students who have missed even more days because of the weather (beyond the sanctioned university cancellations), aren't even in a group yet. And the groups are tasked with presenting their group's proposal tomorrow for the major project due dates for the semester.

I'm trying something new this semester. Students are deciding on major due dates and determining much of the daily activity schedule for each unit. I have veto power, of course, but my approach is one that fosters and encourages personal responsibility and a sense of ownership in the course. I truly believe that composition, as a class and as a field, can do more in the community outside of the classroom. My students will be writing traditional academic essays, blogs, business proposals, press releases, emails, public awareness materials, videos, and more. They will also get experience interviewing fellow students, administrators, town council representatives, public safety and health department officials (depending on the local problem).  But that's not all.

My students must DO something this semester, in addition to improving their writing skills. They are truly attempting to solve a local problem in the next 13 weeks. This pedagogical approach is often known as service-learning. But I'm not following any pre-determined plan and I'm breaking the mold a bit - I'm developing the idea as we go, allowing my students to contribute a line and verse as to how the projects and course itself will go. So far, they are doing wonderfully and I'm witnessing some pretty intense group discussions and debates.

Only time will tell if my experimental approach will work and will still achieve all that the composition curriculum requires, but I can say that my students are excited by the idea that they get to DO something in a broader context than just another university core class.

Perhaps this is the direction more university classes should go. Of course, it needs to stop snowing and icing if we are to start making actual progress. How about it, Nature? Ready to give us a respite?

No comments: