Monday, March 7, 2011

One Professor's Counter-Attack

Let me just preface this post with an unfortunately necessary disclaimer:  I am fully aware of how hard the non-union people in the middle class and working poor in the private sector work. But this isn't about them. This is about me and the people in my position (or similar) who are being attacked by a certain element of the Republican Party and their sympathizers in the general public. These are the people attacking me and my fellow teachers. And I have had it. 

The attack:

Teachers' Unions 101: A is for Agitation 


Wis. Teachers Ready to Help--But Not Forfeit Rights 


President of largest PA faculty union calls Ohio bill 'poor governing'


Wisconsin Liberals Starve Children


Protecting bad teachers [note the last sentence...most teachers are incompetent]


Conservative groups rally behind anti-teachers union legislation

Tea Party Holds Counter Rally Downtown 

Michele Bachmann weighs in on Wisconsin teacher sick-out: "It's a dereliction of duty"


And before you start to protest by saying, but wait, the conservatives and radical Tea Partiers are attacking teachers' unions, not teachers...consider this: An attack on the existence of my union IS an attack on ME. 


I am angry at the Tea Party, conservative talk show hosts, and their conservative counterparts in the general public for thinking that I make a good target for fixing budget problems. Indulge me a moment and I will show you why this attack is unnecessary.

To set the record straight, I do pay taxes, I do vote, and I do work year-round. I do NOT have an easy job.  I do make $50,000 a year/gross and I am represented by a union. I do have about 100 new students across four classes every semester, plus my department, university, and community service requirements, committee work, scholarly research, and assisting former students with recommendation letters and graduate school and job and scholarship applications.

I am not rich and never will be. I will never make over $100,000 a year. I may never make more than $75,000 a year. I do have $60,000 in student loan debt on top of all of my other bills, moving expenses, and other expenses associated with moving and starting all over in a new location.

I am not married, do not have kids, and cannot afford to buy property, so receive none of the tax benefits from being in this class.

If my governor and the Republican legislators in my state attack my union (and hence, attack me and my right to negotiate for health benefits, sick leave, grievance policies, classroom size, and control over curriculum design, in addition to my salary), you damn well better believe I would attend a sick-out with my fellow faculty, despite being a first-year junior faculty member. And that is NOT a dereliction of duty...it is PART of my duty as a faculty member in a unionized university system.

We are one. Together, we can protect our rights. Divided, we will be run over and decimated, reduced to mere cogs expected to do a lot more for much, much less. And yes, our students will suffer, almost as much as we will.

I do work hard and my job is made more complicated by both the administration and the students. For instance, imagine if a large percentage of your annual review came from your company's interns. And that carried equal weight to your supervisor's opinion of how effective you are at your job. That is equivalent to what we, as faculty members, must tolerate. Our students' opinions about how well we do our jobs (despite not being trained or qualified to make this judgment) are weighted heavily in our yearly reviews - and are included in our tenure files. Therefore, if I want to be a tough teacher with high standards and expectations, demanding more academic rigor and critical engagement from my students, I may well pay the consequence in bad student evaluations because many students don't want to work hard or be challenged in any serious way, which then affects my ability to KEEP MY JOB.

Still think my job is easy? Ok, let's continue then.

I do not plan on retiring. Ever. I fully anticipated this even before I became a professor (my third career, so trust me, I'm NOT incompetent), so the argument that union people all retire at 50 is a malicious LIE. And those who believe this are drinking the Tea wholesale without first thinking about or investigating the truth.

I do pay dues to a union that expects me to work hard, do my job, or pay the consequence by being fired - my union does NOT exist to guarantee the employment of unethical slackers - that's in our CONTRACT.

To demonstrate all of these abstract ideas, here is a brief rundown of two typical days for me as a junior faculty member...and it should be known that once I do achieve tenure (if my present university continues to reappoint me for five years and my student evaluations aren't too bad for five years and if the tenure committee decides to grant me tenure - not a guarantee), then my responsibilities INCREASE. Once a faculty member is tenured, she must do MORE, not less. She must become the barrier, the target, the protector of junior faculty, the person standing between unfair administrative expectations and the new faculty member's struggle with figuring out the landscape and realities of the job. She must also step up and participate in more difficult committees with more serious decision-making responsibilities.

What my first two days last week looked like:

Monday. Rise at 7:30, answer student emails, review documents and prep for observation of temporary faculty member. 10 - 11am, observe instructor, taking notes the entire time on netbook. 11-12 meet with students to discuss their project one progress. 12-1 department meeting to discuss which temporary faculty to roll over into tenure-track positions. 1-2 cover class for officemate. 2-3 meet with students, then begin assessment memo draft (I am one of the two "assessment experts" in the department because of my prior experiences - both of us are junior faculty). 3-5 teach my one class for the day. 5-6 casual conversation with fellow department faculty re: internal dept. issues, plus responding to several student emails. 6pm - leave campus. 6:30-7 dinner and reading student blogs. 7-9 various personal phone calls. 9-10 watch MSNBC and read student blogs. 10pm - go to bed/sleep.

Tuesday. Rise at 6am and prepare for day. 8-11 teach my two classes. 11-12 full department meeting. 12-1 meet with students, unable to eat lunch. 1-3 teach my class. 3-5 continue drafting assessment memo, email faculty in other departments for necessary information, respond to student emails, respond to fellow faculty emails, read student blogs, research and select readings to assign to my students in the next classes. 5pm- head home. 6-8 dinner, respond to student emails, continue research readings and TED talks for use in classes, read student blogs, read academic article on assessment. 8-9 personal phone calls. 9-10 watch MSNBC and read student blogs. 10pm - go to bed/sleep. (Sensing a pattern here?)


You get the point.
Do other people work hard? Yes. Do other people have the variety and complexity of tasks and responsibilities that I have in the course of my job? No. Not in the same way.

Do any of us deserve to be vilified as people who don't work hard, who don't work enough, and who aren't worthy of a decent salary with benefits and the ability to negotiate (when we make an average of four to 11 percent less than people working in the private sector)? No. As a professor who has elected to "take the summer off" so that I can work on my other job responsibility of publishing an academic article as opposed to teaching, I condense 12 months of work into nine...and then work another three months at a more relaxed pace.

Does this make me worthy of vilification and scorn? Absolutely not.

Please think before you agree with the fallacious and untrue arguments coming from the political Right. Research and investigate (beyond Fox News). Ask a teacher what her days are like before you rain down your judgment and assumptions based on nothing more than weak-ass Tea delivered in a broken teacup.

In solidarity.

3 comments:

Cori said...

Seriously? Teachers don't love their students? You have to be kidding me. Unless I'm contagious, I usually refuse to take my sick days because I feel guilty about not being there. The only reason I'm taking my days this week is because I have a herniated disc and literally can't get in the car to go to work. I hobbled my tail in there all last week though--I rolled my desk chair around and looked like a fool, but I taught my kids. And I checked in twice today to make sure some of my underperforming students were prepared for their midterms. I'm not going to say that I don't have colleagues who clearly don't like their jobs, but I would say that every profession has their slackers. If I was doing what these reporters seem to be doing, I'd write an article all about how television commentators don't really do research anymore and make broad statements designed to boost ratings. But that's just my perspective on it. I doubt they care what I think.

Lacy Marschalk said...

Fantastic write-up, Amanda. It reminds me of this post Tammy U. linked to on FB a few days ago: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150113347747520&id=548948553.

It too describes the typical day and responsibilities of a teacher. I wish more people realized that even if we're only in the classroom 12 hours or so a week (or in Cori's case, from 8-3 everyday), we aren't really going home from work early. We aren't really EVER home from work. Sure there are a lot of people in the corporate world who can say the same thing, but they usually have salaries (or at least the hope of promotions and larger salaries) to match. In education, teachers work that long and hard every day of the week without even the hope of ever making a lot of money or getting a fancy new promotion. So I'm glad more people are calling attention to this misrepresentation in the American media.

And Cori, I didn't know your back was giving you trouble again. :-( Hope you feel better soon.

Kat said...

There are so many misconceptions about what teachers do and what their responsibilities are, and articles like the ones you posted only prove it.

I can't count how many times I've heard 'oh, well, at least you get the summers off.' Are you KIDDING? I get the summers OFF? No. I get the summers to go over my courses and think about ways to better handle them, to constantly revise what I'm doing to make it better.

'Oh, well, at least you only work two days a week.' Hah. I may only be on campus two days a week, but when I'm not there, I'm thinking about lesson plans, revising lesson plans to make sure they accomplish my goals, thinking up new ideas to make the classroom experience better, responding to student e-mails, grading papers. There is no 'home from work.' Ever.

Oh, and to add to that? I don't get insurance, I have no guarantee of job security, the state I work for is constantly cutting its education budget(and I am consequently always wondering if I will continue to have my job in the next semester),and not to mention that, I'm not able to join a teachers' union because I'm contingent faculty. That's not to mention the pay. People who make minimum wage make more than I do, and I've put seven years of college into training to do this.

People who think teachers have it easy infuriate me. They have a fundamental misunderstanding of the profession, not to mention what seems to be a disturbing lack of thankfulness for what the good teachers in their lives have done for them. We have all been influenced by at least one teacher to be a better person in some way. To pretend like their job is 'easy' is an insult to those teachers, who may never be appreciated in any other way except to know that they've influenced a handful of people to be better human beings over the course of their whole career.